July 21, 2016. New MLERF President Martin Middleton was on hand to present the checks to winners of the 2014-2015 MLERF grants, as previously announced by MLERF Immediate Past President Randall “Randy” Pinch. Through the fund-raising efforts of Lions throughout Massachusetts, MLERF was able to distribute $980,000 to Boston area research institutions.
Grants were awarded to the following institutions:
- Boston University Medical Center($170,000)
- Boston Children’s Hospital($140,000)
- Tufts University Medical Center($170,000)
- Joslin Diabetes Center($160,000)
- Schepens Eye Research Institute ($170,000)
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary ($170,000)
Dr. Lloyd P. Aiello of the Beetham Eye Institute at Joslin Diabetes Center accepted this years Presidential grant. The MLERF Presidential grant award is made up of funds awarded by MLERF as well as funds matched by Lions Club International Foundation. As a result Joslin Diabetes Center received $157,098.